Why Is My Alexa Smart Plug Blinking Red And Blue?
- Randall Mullins
What to do when a smart plug is blinking red?
- Restart the smart plug Restarting tends to resolve issues with most electronic devices.
- Disconnect the device Sometimes, a device might take up too much wattage or current, leading to the smart plug blinking red rapidly.
- Try a different power outlet
- Check the Wi-Fi network
- Check the location of your smart plug
- Check for hardware and software updates
- Reset your smart plug
Why is my smart plug blinking?
How Do I Reconnect My Amazon Smart Plug? – After resetting your Amazon Smart Plug, it will have to be reconnected to your Amazon account before it will work. To do this, you’ll need to set it up in the Alexa app. Here’s how to reconnect your Amazon Smart Plug:
- Open the Alexa app, and tap Devices,
- Tap the + icon.
- If the Amazon Smart Plug popup appears, tap Continue, If you don’t see this popup, tap Add Device > Plug > Amazon > Next,
- Tap NEXT,
- Tap SCAN BARCODE, If your barcode is missing or damaged, tap DON’T HAVE A BARCODE and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Use the camera on your phone to scan the barcode on your Amazon Smart Plug. You will need to unplug the Smart Plug to access the barcode.
- Plug the Smart Plug into a wall outlet, and wait for Alexa to discover it. If Alexa doesn’t immediately find the Smart Plug, press and hold the button on the side of the plug until the light blinks red and blue.
- Wait for Alexa to set up your Smart Plug.
- Tap Next,
- Tap SKIP to start using your plug immediately, or CHOOSE GROUP if you want to assign it to a smart homegroup. You can add the plug to a smart home group later or move it to a different group at any time.
- Tap DONE,
Why is my Amazon Smart Plug not connecting?
Make sure that your Alexa device and your Amazon Smart Plug are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Check that your paired device is within 30 ft (9 m) of your Amazon Smart Plug. Reset your Amazon Smart Plug: press and hold the button on the side of the device for 12 seconds. Then set up Amazon Smart Plug again.
How do I reset my smart plug status?
Status Smart App is now available for download at the below APP stores.
To enable connection with Amazon Alexa you can download the Status Smart Skill from here,
Check you have successfully downloaded the correct Status Smart App?
Have you created a connection to your Wifi network using a 2.4Ghz service?
Ensure your phone is connected to the internet?
Is your Wifi network active? Check this by opening your internet browser.
Alexa does not work with my Status Smart device(s)? Have you downloaded the Status Smart Skill and enabled the function? Status Smart Link HERE
See below how-to re-set the product.
To re-set your Status Smart device(s), turn the device(s) on and off 3 times at the mains operated switch, this will re-set the device. The Status Smart device(s) will begin to flash quickly. Using your instruction manual set up guide, you can now begin the set-up process again.
To re-set your Status Smart device, turn the product on and off 3 times at the mains operated switch, this will re-set the device. The Status Light bulb will begin to flash quickly. Using your instruction manual set up guide, you can now begin the set-up process again.
Yes, you will require an internet connection to set up your Status Smart devices(s). No, you do not require an internet connection for your Status Smart device(s) to work, but if you do not have an internet connection you will be unable to control from your mobile device.
All Status Smart device(s) will work with Amazon Alexa & Google Assistant by using the Status Smart Skill and Action. Unfortunately, they do not currently work with Apple Home-Kit. No Hub is required to operate Status Smart device(s). All device(s) are designed for indoor use; however, the Status Smart device(s) could be used in an outdoor fitting if the IP rating of the fitting is appropriate for the environment and in reach of a Wifi signal.
No, it is not advisable to use a dimmer switch to control your Status Smart light bulbs. Using this function will cause the light bulb to flicker and fail to function. Status Smart light bulbs are dimmable via the App or voice control. Yes, you can use multiple device(s).
- Yes you can.
- However, please be aware this may incur additional charges from your Mobile Network Provider.
- You may need to reset your Wi-Fi router to 2.4GHz, in your Wi-Fi Router settings switch off the Smart Access/5GHz option and manually select via 2.4GHz option, this is due to the Smart bulb only being programmed for use with 2.4GHz frequency.
This should enable your Smart product to connect and once you have completed setup the setup instructions you can enable the Smart access option in your Wi-Fi router settings. The Smart access is the option that allows your router to choose the best frequency for you (2.4GHz or 5 GHz)
Turn the bulb on for approximately 10 seconds. Turn the bulb off for approximately 10 seconds. Switch the bulb on for approximately 1 second and then switch it off again for approximately 1 second, repeat this a total of 5 times then switch the bulb on one last time. After a few seconds the bulb should begin to flash and should be ready to connect to the app.
After you have entered your Wi-Fi details into the App and selected “Next” you should be shown instructions for pairing the bulb with the App. In the top-right corner of the App screen there should be a “Mode” shown. Press on this “Mode” and the App will display “EZ Mode” and “AP Mode”. Select “EZ Mode”. You should now be able to pair the bulb with the App without requiring the connection to a SMART Wi-Fi Hotspot.
Open the SMART App and select the bulb you wish to connect to Amazon Alexa. Select the option button from the top-right of the App screen. Select “Remove Device” from the bottom of the options menu. Select “Disconnect and wipe data” and then select “Confirm”. The bulb should then re-enter pairing mode and begin to flash. Re-pair the bulb to the SMART App by selecting “Add device” or the ” + ” symbol in the top right of the App screen. Select “Lighting” and then “Lighting (Wi-Fi)”. Enter your Wi-Fi Network details and select “Next”. Ensure the App is set to pair using “EZ Mode”, this should be visible in the top-right of the App Screen, if “AP Mode” is displayed you should press on this “AP Mode” and then select “EZ Mode”. Then press “Confirm indicator rapidly blink” and then “Next”. The App should then begin to re-pair with the bulb. Once the SMART App has detected the bulb it should automatically be connected to the Amazon Alexa App as well.
Open the SMART App on the mobile device with the bulb already connected. Select “Me” from the options along the bottom of the screen. Select “Home Management”. If a Home has already been set up select this from the list. If a Home has not been set up select “Create Home” and enter the “Home Name”, you can also choose to enter the Location and select/ add rooms to this “Home”. When the Home has been created you should see the options “View Home” or “Done”, select “View Home”. Select “Add Member”. You should then be prompted to enter a “Name” which is how the Member will be displayed in the Home. In the “Account” you should enter the email address or phone number the person you are adding to the Home used to create their account on the SMART App. You can then select this members “Family Role”, a “Common Member” is able to use any devices Smart setting set up in the Home where as an “Administrator” is able to add and remove devices, members and Smart Settings from the Home as well as being able to control the Smart products.
Select the device from the list of connected products in the SMART App. Select the Options button shown in the top-right corner. Select this Options button again shown next to the device name. Select “Location”. Select the Home/ Room for the device location. Select “Save”.
Why is Amazon Smart Plug blinking red?
The smart plugs LED indicator will blink quickly in red if it is out of range of the hub. In this case, confirm all connections, including those of the hub. If it is blinking very quickly, the connected electric device is drawing too much current or wattage. Disconnect immediately.
Why have my Alexa plugs stopped working?
3. Update Alexa – If your smart plug is not responding to your Alexa commands, it may be the case that your Alexa app or devices need updating. Updates are automatic, but it may be the case that an automatic update hasn’t yet been applied to your app or device. That’s because Alexa devices won’t update when they’re in use. To update the Alexa app:
Open the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.Search for the Amazon Alexa app.If you don’t see an Update button, your app is up-to-date.If you do see an Update button, tap it to update to the latest version of the app.
To check if an Alexa device is up-to-date:
Open the Amazon Alexa app.Tap Devices at the bottom of the screen. Select Echo & Alexa, Tap on the device that you want to check.Tap the Settings icon. Scroll down and tap About, Compare the current Device Software Version to the latest software version for your device,If the versions match, you’re up-to-date. If they don’t match, you’ll need to manually update your device.
To update an Alexa device:
To ensure that your Alexa device isn’t in use, press the Mute button. This will look like a microphone, or a circle with a line through it, depending on your device.Wait for about thirty minutes. Your Alexa device should automatically update during this time.Press the Mute button again to re-activate your device.Repeat the steps from the section above to confirm that you’re now running the latest software version for your device.
Can I unplug my Wi-Fi and plug it back in?
Reset Your Modem and Router (Power Cycle) – Unplug the router first, then unplug the modem. Neither of them have power buttons, so it’s a matter of pulling the power cord out of the back of the modem or router. Leave the devices unplugged for 30 seconds, then plug the modem back in followed by the router.
Why is my smart plug blinking orange?
The Wemo WiFi Smart Plug, WSP080 lets you turn electronic devices ON or OFF from anywhere. This article lists the light behaviors of your Wemo WiFi Smart Plug.
|OFF||The light is OFF when your Wemo® is connected to the Wi-Fi and working normally.|
|Alternate blinking||The light alternates between white and orange when your Wemo is ready for setup.|
|Solid white||The light will be solid white for 30 seconds when setup is successful and your Wemo is ON.|
|Blinking white||The light blinks white during a firmware update.|
|Solid orange||The light is solid orange if the Wi-Fi signal is weak. Move your Wemo closer to your router.|
|Blinking orange||The light blinks orange if your Wemo is not connected to the Wi-Fi. Unplug your router and Wemo then plug them back in.|
To learn more about the Wemo WiFi Smart Plug, click here,
Can smart plugs overheat?
Safety and Compliance Information Safety and Compliance Information for Amazon Smart Plug Use Responsibly. Read all instructions and safety information before use. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN FIRE, ELECTRIC SHOCK, OR OTHER INJURY OR DAMAGE. Maintaining Your Amazon Smart Plug Use your Amazon Smart Plug (“Device”) only in indoor, dry environments. Do not use your Device near sinks or other wet locations.
- Take care not to spill any food or liquid on your Device and do not put any object filled with a liquid, such as a vase, on or near your Device.
- If your Device does get wet, carefully unplug the Device without getting your hands wet and wait for the Device to dry completely before plugging it in again.
Do not attempt to dry your Device with an external heat source, such as a microwave oven or hair dryer. Only handle your Amazon Smart Plug with clean hands. Remove your Device from an outlet before cleaning. Clean the Device with a soft cloth. Do not clean with liquid.
Do not expose your Device to steam, extreme heat or cold. For example, do not plug in your Device near any heat sources such as space heaters, heater vents, radiators, stoves, or other things that produce heat. See below for operating temperatures for the Device. If you wish to turn off your Device press the on/off button on the side of the Device.
To turn your Device back on, press the on/off button again. If you wish to stop power from flowing into your device, unplug the Device. Do not force your Amazon Smart Plug into a power outlet. If your Amazon Smart Plug appears damaged, discontinue use immediately.
- Overloading a socket can cause it to overheat and may result in a fire.
- Your Amazon Smart Plug may get warm during normal use.
- To reduce the risk of overheating or heat-related injuries, keep the Amazon Smart Plug well ventilated and use care when handling it.
- Servicing Your Device If your device needs service, please contact Amazon Customer Support.
Contact details can be found at, Faulty service may void the warranty. Other Safety Considerations
- Do not remove your Amazon Smart Plug’s ground pin (the middle pin).
- Install your Device in an easily accessible outlet near the equipment that will be plugged into the Device.
- Before plugging equipment into your Amazon Smart Plug, make sure the equipment is turned off.
- Your Amazon Smart Plug is not intended for use with medical or life support equipment. Accordingly, your Amazon Smart Plug should not be used to supply power to, or control the on and off status of, medical or life support equipment.
- If the equipment you plug into your Amazon Smart Plug is used in a way not specified by the manufacturer, any protection provided by the equipment may be impaired.
- Do not use your Amazon Smart Plug to operate equipment where inaccurate timing or accidental on/off commands could be dangerous (e.g. saunas, sunlamps, etc.).
- Plug your Amazon Smart Plug directly into an electric outlet and not into an extension cord or a power strip.
- Do not use your Amazon Smart Plug to operate equipment where continuous or unsupervised operation could be dangerous (e.g. stoves, heaters, or fans).
- Do not overload your Amazon Smart Plug by plugging equipment into it that exceeds your Amazon Smart Plug’s electrical rating or by plugging a power strip into your Amazon Smart Plug.
- Do not connect after each other.
- Only for use in dry rooms.
- Do not touch your Amazon Smart Plug or any equipment connected to it during a lightning storm.
- Small parts contained in your Device may present a choking hazard to small children.
Using Your Amazon Smart Plug Around Other Electronic Devices Amazon Smart Plug generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency (RF) energy and, if not used in accordance with its instructions, may cause interference to radio communications and electronic equipment.
External RF signals may affect improperly installed or inadequately shielded electronic operating systems, entertainment systems, and personal medical devices. While most modern electronic equipment is shielded from external RF signals, if in doubt, check with the manufacturer. For personal medical devices (such as pacemakers and hearing aids), consult with your physician or the manufacturer to determine if they are adequately shielded from external RF signals.
EU CONFORMITY Hereby, Amazon.com Services, Inc. declares that the radio equipment type HD34BX is in compliance with Directive 2014/53/EU. The full text of the EU declaration of conformity is available at the following Internet address:, Wireless Features: Wi-Fi 2.4G 2412-2472 MHz; BLE 2402-2480 MHz, Maximum Radio Frequency Power: Wi-Fi: 2.4G: 17.95 dBm; BLE: 2.75 dBm
- RADIO FREQUENCY EXPOSURE COMPLIANCE
- In order to protect human health, this device meets the thresholds for exposure of the general public to electromagnetic fields according to Council Recommendation 1999/519/EC.
- This device should be installed and operated with at least 20 cm between the radiator and your body.
- Recycling the Products Properly
In some areas, the disposal of certain electronic devices is regulated. Make sure you dispose of or recycle the Products in accordance with your local laws and regulations. For information about recycling, go to,
- Product Specifications
- Model Number: HD34BX
- Power :
- UK power adaptor
- Input: 240V ~, 50Hz, 10A max
- Output: 240V ~, 50Hz, 10A max
- EU power adaptor
- Input: 230V ~, 50Hz, 10A max
- Output: 230V ~, 50Hz, 10A max
- Connectivity : Wi-Fi 2.4G 2412-2472 MHz; BLE 2402-2480 MHz
- Operating temperature : 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
- Legal Terms
- Please read the terms found at,
- One-Year Limited Warranty
This Warranty for the Amazon Smart Plug (the “Device”) is provided by the entity set forth below. The provider of this warranty is sometimes referred to herein as “we”. We warrant the Device against defects in materials and workmanship under ordinary consumer use for one year from the date of original retail purchase.
During this warranty period, if a defect arises in the Device, and you follow the instructions for returning the Device, we will at our option, to the extent permitted by law, either (i) repair the Device using either new or refurbished parts, (ii) replace the Device with a new or refurbished Device that is equivalent to the Device to be replaced, or (iii) refund to you all or part of the purchase price of the Device.
This limited warranty applies, to the extent permitted by law, to any repair, replacement part or replacement device for the remainder of the original warranty period or for ninety days, whichever period is longer. All replaced parts and Devices for which a refund is given shall become our property.
This limited warranty applies only to hardware components of the Device that are not subject to accident, misuse, neglect, fire or other external causes, alterations, repair, or commercial use. Instructions. For specific instructions about how to obtain warranty service for your Device, please contact Customer Service using the contact information provided below.
In general, you will need to deliver your Device in either its original packaging or in equally protective packaging to the address specified by Customer Service. Before you deliver your Device for warranty service, it is your responsibility to back up any data, software, or other materials you may have stored or preserved on your Device.
It is possible that such data, software or other materials will be lost or reformatted during service, and we will not be responsible for any such damage or loss. This limited warranty gives you specific rights. If you are a consumer, you may have additional rights under applicable law, and this limited warranty is provided in addition to, and without prejudice to, your consumer rights.
Warranty Provider. If you purchased your Device from Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de or from authorised resellers located in the United Kingdom or in Europe, this warranty is provided by Amazon EU S.à r.l., 38 avenue John F. Kennedy, L-1855, Luxembourg. If you purchased your Device from any other Amazon website or from authorised resellers located in other countries, or for updates to the warranty provider information, go to,
How do I reset my smart Life plug Wi-Fi?
1）Keep the Wireless Smart Plug plugged in the wall outlet.2） Hold the power button and count for 8-15 seconds then release it.3）You should see the blue indicator LED blink 5 times and hear a clicking noise. After that, the blue indicator LED will flash slowly, which indicates a factory reset is done successfully.
Why are my smart plugs always offline?
What should I do if my device is showing offline in the CE Smart App? Modified on: Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 4:05 PM If your device is showing offline within the CE Smart App, it means it has lost network connection. Please note: if you have a dual band router and both bands are included in the same SSID (only one network name), you will need to separate the bands or connect via AP mode for a stable connection.
Please confirm the device is powered on Confirm whether the network has lost or dropped connection. If so, the device will come online when the network is restored. Please check if device is back online after a few minutes. Confirm whether product/appliance being used with the Smart Device has been turned off manually. If so, it can cause the device to go offline. Please remove the device from the CE Smart App and add it again (scroll down to bottom for instructions on how to do this) Confirm that the network is stable. To test this, connect a phone or tablet to the same 2.4 GHz WiFi network and put it next to the offline device; try browsing the web to evaluate network status/stability. Confirm whether the home Wi-Fi network has been altered or modified (name or password). If so, you will need to remove the device and add it again with the updated credentials (scroll down to bottom for instructions on how to do this)
Please note only 2.4 GHz WiFi is compatible
If the network is working properly, but device is still offline, check if there are too many Wi-Fi connections. Try restarting the router, wait 3 minutes and observe status of the device. Check to ensure the router’s firmware is up to date. Check to ensure the device’s firmware is up to date:
Open CE Smart App and Click on device under “My Home” tab Click on the “edit” pencil icon on the top right Click “Check for firmware upgrades”
If all above steps are checked and working properly, we recommend that you remove the device and add it again.
How to Remove and Re-add a Device in the CE Smart APP :
First, ensure you are connected to your 2.4 GHz WiFi on your phone/tablet with the CE Smart App Open CE Smart App and Click on device under “My Home” tab Click on the “edit” pencil icon on the top right Scroll down and click “Remove device” The LED indicator on the device will begin rapidly flashing. As soon as the LED is flashing, within CE Smart App, click add device and follow the steps to re-connect.
If your device continues to drop offline or you are experiencing other issues, please contact us for further assistance. Did you find it helpful? Yes No Sorry we couldn’t be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback. : What should I do if my device is showing offline in the CE Smart App?