How To Connect Alexa To Light Switch?
- Randall Mullins
For plugs or switches connected to lights, change their device type to Light in the Alexa app.
- Open the Alexa app.
- Open Devices.
- Select the plug or light switch.
- Select Settings.
- Select Type, and then Light.
What light switch works best with Alexa?
Frequently asked questions – How do I know if I have a neutral wire? Houses built before 2011 weren’t required to have a neutral wire for switches, per the National Electric Code. However, most built after 1980 may have them anyway. The only way to truly know whether you have a neutral wire or not is to turn off the circuit, remove the wall plate and switch, and check the switch box.
- It’s typically the white wire spliced with another white wire that isn’t connected to the existing switch.) If you’re looking to buy smart switches and aren’t sure whether you have a neutral wire, opt for one of the models that don’t require a neutral wire (like the Lutron ).
- Which bulbs work best with in-wall smart switches? Most standard light bulbs work with in-wall smart switches and dimmers.
However, it’s always a good idea to check the specs before you make a purchase, to be sure the dimmer will be compatible with your choice of bulb type (we prefer LED) and the maximum load expressed in watts (which could be an issue if you have one switch that controls high-wattage bulbs or multiple banks of lights).
Never use a dimmable and/or smart dimmable light switch with smart light bulbs. Those dueling technologies will cause the bulb to flash, flicker, or buzz and otherwise malfunction. And even though some companies (such as C by GE ) do make smart-bulb and smart-switch products that can be paired, we don’t recommend them.
Why does my in-wall smart switch need to know my location? Many smart-home devices ask you to enable location services on your smartphone to enable their smart features. For instance, geofencing is a feature that turns your smart switch on and off based on the location of your smartphone—so, for example, your lights can come on automatically when you arrive home.
- Michael Brown, The best smart switches and dimmers: Lighting is the foundation of the smart home, TechHive, December 13, 2021
- Ry Crist, Smart bulbs vs. smart switches: The pros and cons of connected lighting, CNET, September 22, 2015
- Nicole Van Zanten, The Best Smart Wi-Fi Light Switches and Plugs to Make your Home Lighting Smarter, Ideaing, January 1, 2021
Can Alexa control LED lights?
LED Strip Lights works with Alexa: You can control them with your mobile phone by App and Amazon Alexa, just simply speak Voice command to turn ON/OFF, Changing Colors/Modes, Dim/Brighten the lights.
Can Alexa turn off lights when I leave the house?
Away Lighting – If you’ll be gone for an extended period of time, using Away Lighting will help make it appear as though someone is home. Alexa can turn the lights on and off, like your front porch or living room light. Note that you’ll need a compatible smart light, smart switch or a smart plug for this to work.
- Away Lighting is located in the Guard settings – so again, open the Alexa app settings and tap Guard,
- From here, tap the gear icon in the top right corner and tap Lights,
- The next screen will tell you to make sure your smart accessory type is set to “light” in device settings.
- Tap the device settings link to see the list of your smart accessories and select all that apply.
All that you select will work when you trigger Away Lighting when leaving the house. If you don’t have a smart light, plug or switch, you can select Shop Smart Lighting, which will take you to an Amazon page for smart plugs. Now that you’ve updated the security settings on your smart speaker, here are six Amazon Echo settings you won’t regret changing, three Amazon Echo pet peeves and how to fix them and four top Amazon Echo features to improve and perfect now,
Do smart light switches work without WiFi?
You Won’t Be Able to Use Smart Device Features – The smart features on your light switches all need a WiFi connection to function. So, if the WiFi disappears you will find that functionality is compromised. You will not be able to use your smart hub controls to brighten or dim the lights or control fans.
Why will Smart Switch not connecting?
2. Check USB Cable and USB Port – The next thing you should do is check if the cable you’re using to connect the smartphone to PC is working fine. Often, the cable is damaged or else, the USB port is malfunctioning. In either case, you may face the Smart Switch not connecting issue.
Is Smart Switch over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?
Via a cable –
- Step 2: select “Start” on your old device and “Receive data” on your new device.
- Step 3: select “USB Cable” on both devices.
- Step 4: connect the devices with a cable.
- Step 5: choose “Send data” on your old device.
- Step 6: select the data you want to transfer and tap “Transfer”.
Note: Currently, Samsung doesn’t always include a USB cable anymore. In that case, Samsung Smart Switch only works wirelessly.
- Download and open the Samsung Smart Switch app on both your old and new device.
- Tap Start on your old device and Receive on your new device.
- Select USB Cable on both devices.
- Connect the devices together with a cable and the USB connector included with your new Samsung device. The screen shows how you do this.
- On your old device, choose Send,
- On your new smartphone, select which files you want to take with you from your old phone and tap Transfer, Smart Switch will now transfer your information to your new device.
Can you use Alexa as a Bluetooth speaker for switch?
Doesn’t look like that’s possible since the AUX ports on Alexa devices is just output, not input. You might be able to get it to work with a switch compatible bluetooth adapter, though. Should be able to make it work like you would with any other device using Alexa as a bluetooth speaker.
Can Alexa control smart switches?
In this post we review the best Smart Light Switches that work with Alexa, With smart switches for Alexa you can control your smart lighting using Alexa commands and your voice. You can say ” Alexa, turn on my lights.” and Alexa will turn on your lights with just your voice.
Can Alexa connect to consoles?
In the Alexa app Download and open the Amazon Alexa app on your phone. Go to the menu, and then select Add Device. Select Game Console > Xbox, and then follow the instructions.
Can Alexa toggle a switch?
how to toggle the state of a light or switch for Alexa in Home Assistant by · Published May 2020 · Updated Aug 2021 visitors this year: 4,030 Toggling a light switch means that a press of the switch will turn the light off or on depending it what it was last doing.
There is nothing clever about that but if I was the push button on a remote control, I’d wonder whether to send an ‘on’ or an ‘off’ signal to the light? Indeed you often find that a switch press can only do an ‘on’ or an ‘off’. Amazon’s Alexa allows you to make routines that will turn lights on or off.
What Alexa can’t do (as of 2021) is to tell the light to do the opposite of what it was last doing. This is ridiculous but the way to work round this in Home Assistant is to create a script that toggles the light. You then ‘expose’ that switch to Alexa.
In File editor open your configuration.yaml and add the code belowSave the edits and completely shut down and restart the Raspberry Pi
emulated_hue: host_ip: 192.168.1.X # this is the IP of your own Home Assistant listen_port: 80 # advertise_ip: 192.168.1.X # the above line isn’t required as of 2021 off_maps_to_on_domains: – script exposed_domains: # – light – switch – script # below you can selectively list the script/s (example below)you want to ‘expose’ entities: script.1605808203118: name: “zoom lighting” hidden: false script.toggle_cupboard_light: name: “toggle cupboard light” hidden: false expose_by_default: false # If expose by default is true you risk adding an unmanageable number of entities # to ALEXA.