How To Change Alexa Wake Word?
- Randall Mullins
How to change your Alexa wake word – You can change the wake word for individual Echo devices. This is great if you want to set a different wake word in each room. Or if family members don’t want to activate each other’s devices. Either way, the method is the same. You just need to repeat the steps for each Echo device.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
- Hit the Devices tab, and then Echo & Alexa.
- Select the Echo you want to change.
- Tap on the Settings icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to Wake Word, tap it and select your preference from the list.
If you don’t use the Alexa app for iOS or Android, you can configure your Echo through the web. Just go to in your browser and you’ll be able to log-in and control your device without needing a phone. You can also change the wake word on an Echo Show’s own display.
Can I change Alexa wake word to anything I want?
Change Alexa’s name / wake word on the device – You can change the wake word directly on your Echo device using voice commands.
Say “Alexa, change your wake word.”Alexa will say “OK, you can choose from Amazon, Computer, Echo, or Ziggy — which of these do you like?”Say “Computer” (or whichever word you want).Alexa will say “OK, you can call me ‘Computer’ on this device in a few seconds.”
If you have an Echo Show, you can also use the touchscreen to change the wake word.
Swipe from the top of the screenSelect Settings Scroll down and choose Device Options Choose Wake Word Select the option you want to use on this device
A “Hey Disney” custom voice assistant is due to arrive this year. Image: Amazon
Can you give Alexa a custom name?
4. Choose a new Alexa wake word – When you first unbox your Echo, the default wake word it answers to is Alexa. However, you can change the wake word at any time. Amazon’s other traditional options to call your voice assistant are Computer, Amazon and Echo, but there are also several newer wake word additions you can use like Ziggy and Hey, Disney,
- Unfortunately, you can’t give it a unique name, so you have to pick from the above options.
- If you want to change the name, just say “Alexa, change the wake word” and choose another option.
- Or if you’re not near your Echo speaker, you can open the Alexa app and navigate to Settings,
- Then, select Device Settings and choose your device (for example, Katie’s Echo Dot).
Scroll down and tap Wake Word, then select what you’d like to call your voice assistant.
Why is Ziggy a wake word for Alexa?
Back 09 August 2022 Amazon Amazon have added a new wake word for their devices in tribute to David Bowie – “Ziggy”. “Ziggy” is the fifth wake word option for Echo devices in addition to “Alexa”, “Amazon”, “Computer” and “Echo”. Customers can change the wake word of their Echo device via the Alexa app or the Settings screen on Echo Show devices, and all wake words options can be used with either the male or female voice options for Alexa.
To change Alexa’s voice, customers need to say “Alexa, change your voice.” “We are constantly looking for ways to offer our customers more choices so they can personalise their Alexa experience” said Dennis Stansbury, Alexa UK Country Manager. “The wake word is very important as Alexa devices are specially designed to only detect the users chosen wake word.
Our devices detect wake words by identifying acoustic patterns that match the wake word, so a lot of consideration goes into the selection. We chose ‘Ziggy’ not only because it performed well in testing but it’s fun and reflects Alexa’s wealth of knowledge on everything from A to Z.
As an aside, I am a self- confessed David Bowie fan so I am enjoying saying ‘Ziggy, play Ziggy’ and ‘Ziggy, play guitar’ to my Echo device!” In other Bowie-related news, the National History Museum has reported that a new group of spiders containing over 100 species has been named after the late singer.
The tropical arachnids have been named after the musician to draw attention to the threats they face. “When examining species from a predominantly Asian lineage in this family, I soon realised that they could not be assigned to any pre-existing genus,” Dr Peter Jäger said.
What is Alexa celebrity wake word?
Ziggy, Play Ziggy – Amazon added Ziggy as a wake word along with a new, unrelated male voice, though the additions flew under the radar compared to the movie star and basketball legend becoming voices for Alexa. Ziggy was picked as a wake word to contrast with Alexa and highlight the other end of the alphabet to suggest the voice assistant is a source of all knowledge.
- Users can ask Alexa to change either or both features if they choose.
- Having Ziggy as a wake word does offer a couple of extra bonus features.
- Tell the voice assistant, “Ziggy, play Ziggy,” and it will begin playing the eponymous album.
- If you say “Ziggy, play guitar,” however, you’ll get a funny response repurposing some of Bowie’s more famous lyrics.
The timing of the wake word release with the anniversary of the albums where Bowie took on the Ziggy Stardust persona was a coincidence, but a happy one for his fans at the company. “We are constantly looking for ways to offer our customers more choices so they can personalize their Alexa experience,” Alexa’s UK country manager Dennis Stansbury explained in a statement.
- The wake word is very important as Alexa devices are specially designed to only detect the user’s chosen wake word.
- Our devices detect wake words by identifying acoustic patterns that match the wake word, so a lot of consideration goes into the selection.
- We chose ‘Ziggy’ not only because it performed well in testing, but because it’s fun and reflects Alexa’s wealth of knowledge on everything from A to Z.
As an aside, I am a self-confessed David Bowie fan, so I am enjoying saying ‘Ziggy, play Ziggy’ and ‘Ziggy, play guitar’ to my Echo device.” Follow @voicebotai Follow @erichschwartz Shaquille O’Neal and Melissa McCarthy Join Roster of Alexa Celebrity Personalities Amazon Adds Unique Samuel L.
How do I get custom voices wake words for Alexa?
Voice command (20 seconds) – Follow the steps below to change the Alexa wake word for the Alexa device you are speaking to:
Say “Alexa, change the wake word” Alexa will prompt you to choose 1 of 3 other wake word options (Amazon, Computer or Echo)Say your new wake word selectionAlexa will confirm she understood and let you know that you can start calling her by the newly selected name in a few seconds
Pro Tip : If you have multiple Alexa devices, you’ll have to repeat steps 1 – 4 speaking to each device. I recommend using the same Alexa wake word across all of your devices.
Why can’t I change my Alexa’s name?
Changing the device name – In addition to inadvertent activations, with Alexa starting to pop up everywhere, it’s likely that your list of Alexa devices in the Alexa app or web client will get out of hand rather quickly. With different settings for each Alexa device, it’s important to differentiate them in the app to avoid confusion and for easier troubleshooting, should something go wrong.
Go to alexa.amazon.com or open the Amazon Alexa app on iOS or Android,In the Android or iOS apps, click the hamburger button in the upper left corner to expand the side menu.In the side menu, select Settings,Click on one of the devices under Alexa Devices to open the settings specific to that device.Beside Device name click Edit,Type in a new name and click Save Changes,
Unlike changing the wake word, changing the device name will not alter how you interact with the Alexa device in any way. What it will do, however, is make it easy to tell multiple Alexa devices apart within the Alexa app. Taylor Martin/CNET Setting a personal name to your Alexa speakers will also make it easier to select the correct one to play music with using Spotify and other connected apps.
Changing the name of an Alexa speaker won’t change how it appears as a Bluetooth device. The Bluetooth name will stay in its original format (e.g. Echo-XXX) even after you change the device name. Fortunately, you can often change the name of the Alexa device in the Bluetooth settings of the device you pair it with.
Batteries Not Included : The CNET team shares experiences that remind us why tech stuff is cool. Take a look here, CNET Magazine : Check out a sampling of the stories you’ll find in CNET’s newsstand edition, right here,
Can I ask Alexa to call me by a nickname?
How to get Alexa to call you a different name – One of Alexa’s customizations includes changing the name she calls you, whether it’s your real name, a nickname, or something off-the-wall that will make you laugh when you hear it. An Alexa user named Robert, for example, can choose to be called Robert, Rob, or Bobby.
If you want to have a little fun with it, go for a title like Captain or a pet name like Darling. Follow these steps to change the name Alexa will call you. Step 1: Open the Amazon Alexa app. Step 2: Hit the Communicate section at the bottom of the screen. Step 3: Tap the icon of the tiny person that represents your profile in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen.
Step 4: On the next window, go underneath your name and hit My Communication Settings. Step 5: Go to the upper-right-hand corner and hit Edit, Step 6: Switch your first name based on your preference. Step 7: Go to the upper-right corner to tap Save to finish.
- Step 8: Make sure your name change works by saying, “Alexa, what’s my name?” Then, she’ll respond, “I’m talking to,
- This is ‘s account.” Before you choose a completely silly name, remember that changing the name setting means that nickname will also show up in other Alexa-enabled features.
- For example, if your name changes from Calvin to Fancy Guy, Alexa will refer to you as Fancy Guy when sending messages to Echo users as well, so that will be the name that pops up for them.
Request that Alexa verify your name, and she will respond, “I’m talking to Fancy Guy. This account is Calvin’s.” In addition to this name showing up on all of Alexa’s features, it will also be displayed on your public profile, so you want to be careful about what you choose to be called.
What are the 4 wake words for Alexa?
We may live in the age of Alexa, but barking the same wake word and hearing the same voice answer our requests can quickly make us feel like we’re the robots. If you want to say something different than Alexa to command your smart speaker then the good news is that it’s possible – albeit in a limited way; you can’t just call Alexa anything you want.
- Unlike its rivals, Amazon allows users to change the Alexa wake word and add a pinch of variation to the Echo devices experience although there are only four different wake words on offer: Ziggy, Amazon, Computer and Echo.
- A fifth voice, and a brand new experience entirely will go live in 2022, when Amazon launches ‘Hey Disney’ on Echo smart speakers – read on for more info on that.
So, if you’d prefer a different Alexa voice or accent reading out your weather report or reminders, this is what you need to do. Read this: Funny things to ask Alexa Follow the steps below and learn how to change it all on your Amazon Echo speaker,
How do I change my Alexa voice to celebrity?
How to purchase a celebrity voice: –
Say “Alexa introduce me to,” Alexa will switch over to the celeb voice you’ve selected and explain the things you can do with it. If you want to purchase the voice, you will be asked to confirm the charge to your Amazon account.Once enabled, you can say “hey ” to wake the Echo device. The voice will only be on the Echo you purchased it on. To enable it on additional Echo speakers, see the steps below. The standard Alexa voice is still available if you use the Alexa wake word and will sometimes respond if the celeb voice can’t respond to your request. The celeb voice can’t help with Shopping, lists, reminders, or skills.