How Much Does Amazon Alexa Cost?
- Randall Mullins
When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. If you ever thought that how much Alexa costs per month, then you might be wrong. Actually, Alexa doesn’t cost any monthly fee. However, you may need to pay extra fees for other streaming services to play on Alexa.
- So, how much does Alexa costs? If you use Amazon Echo Dot as an Alexa device, it may cost you around $30.
- However, if you use Amazon Echo Show as an Alexa device, it will cost you around $100-$250 as there are different devices available.
- In this article, I’ll discuss different types of Alexa devices and their costs.
In addition, I will compare each product, so you can decide what is best for you.
What is the cost of Alexa Amazon?
Amazon Echo Smart Speaker User Review and Ratings – 4.2 ★ 992 ratings & 992 reviews
5 ★ 629 4 ★ 168 3 ★ 57 2 ★ 45 1 ★ 93
Write Your Review Displaying 1-5 of 992 reviews
Sachin Jadhav (Nov 23, 2020) on Amazon just amazing Is this review helpful? Reply Mahesh Deora (Apr 20, 2019) on Amazon Product low quality Is this review helpful? Reply Amazon Customer (Apr 18, 2019) on Amazon loved the voice search capabilities. very useful specially if you have some accent, definitely recommend all to buy this!! Is this review helpful? Reply Laltea (Apr 14, 2019) on Amazon Best Is this review helpful? Reply Beautiful must have in every home Harmandeep S. (Apr 17, 2019) on Amazon Alexa sing a song!Alexa play Jagjit singh,.and the list goes onGet one and your kid will start doing his homework with Alexa’s help!! Is this review helpful? Reply
Read all reviews
How much does Alexa cost per year?
Anker PowerConf Bluetooth Speakerphone, in pictures – I’ve tested a number of Echo devices – from the diminutive Dot to the full-sized Echo, and I’m surprised just how energy efficient they are. On standby – that is, plugged in, switched on, and connected to Wi-Fi – they seem to consume between 2W and 4W of power, which really isn’t much.
- Given that the average US price for a kWh of electricity is less than $0.13, which means that worse case, it’s costing you under $0.40 a month to run, or less than $5 a year.
- What about when the Echo is in use, for example, pounding out tunes or telling you what the weather is going to be? Interestingly, the power consumption is not much higher.
While there are power consumption peaks close to 10W for the bigger speaker, average consumption while outputting streaming audio is in the region of 6W. So, if you use your Echo to listen to music for a couple of hours a day, and leave it on standby the rest of the time, the cost only fractionally higher, at a little over $0.40 a month to run, or about $5 a year.
- If you had your Echo blasting out tunes 24/7, that would still be less than $0.60 a month, or about $7 a year.
- However, it’s worth bearing in mind just how many smart speakers and devices you have plugged in 24/7.
- Many people I know have several Amazon Echos or Google Homes or Apple HomePods plugged in all the time, and this is where it all starts to add up.
Five Echos spread across your home will be costing you in the region of $25 a year. Not a huge about, but for something that mostly sits there doing nothing, is still quite a lot. Also, give a thought for the environmental cost. And each kilowatt hour of power produced results in about a pound of CO2 puffed into the atmosphere, which is not cool.
What is the difference between Amazon Echo and Alexa?
What is Amazon Alexa? – Alexa is the name of a smart voice-based Amazon assistant created by Amazon for its Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Echo Show line of computing devices. The capabilities of Alexa mimic intelligent assistants like Microsoft Cortana, Apple Siri, Samsung Bixby, and Google assistant.
- The amazon assistant, Alexa replies to voice control by sending back information on products (on Amazon), news, sports, weather, music, and much more.
- The engine behind Amazon Alexa runs on Amazon web service in the cloud, hence enable Alexa to pick up your preferences and enhance its functionality with time.
Many people use the names Amazon Alexa and Amazon Echo interchangeably but there is a difference between the two. The short answer to this is : Alexa is just the AI service and not the product. On the other hand, Amazon echo is the physical device that is used to interact with Alexa.
Amazon’s Alexa is used in Amazon echo products. Such Echo devices include original Amazon Echo, the Amazon Tap, the smaller Echo Dot, the echo look, and the latest edition, the Echo show. In other words, Alexa is just like the internet and the Echo is like a laptop. Along with the Echo products, Amazon Alexa is supported by Fire TV and Fire HD tablet products.
Some third-party products have also started to support Alexa compromising Invoxia’s Triby speaker, Ford SYNC automobile infotainment systems, Nucleus intercom, and message system.
Can I buy Alexa for free?
No, you don’t have to pay for using an Alexa smart speaker device. You can use the Alexa app and Amazon website for free. However, if you want to use some of the more advanced features, you may need to sign up for a paid subscription. For example, if you want to use Amazon Music Unlimited, you’ll need to pay $9.99 per month or $8.99 per month if you are Amazon Prime member.
Otherwise, you can still listen to music through Amazon’s Music Service – you just can’t get every song you may want to hear. I love my Echo devices and they truly do make my life easier and frankly, a bit more fun. I do pay for the premium services of Amazon’s Music Unlimited because I love listening to all kinds of music, depending on the energy of the day.
The other cost to consider is the amount of electricity that an Echo device uses. It’s estimated that one device uses about 15.2 killowatt hours for an entire year which for most homes tallies up to about $2.00 per year. ( source cnet.com ) There are several questions that my friends and neighbors (who don’t yet have an Alexa device) ask me so I thought it would be a good idea to write a blog post about these questions.
- Just in case you aren’t quite sure what an Alexa (Echo) device is, let’s start with that.
- An Amazon Echo (aka Alexa speaker) is a hands-free, voice controlled device that uses the Alexa Voice Service to play music, provide information, news, sports scores, weather and more.
- All you have to do is ask.
- The Amazon Echo has seven microphones and noise cancellation so it can hear you from across the room even while you’re watching TV or listening to music.
It also has far-field voice recognition so it can hear you from a distance. The Echo is always on and connected to the cloud so it can respond instantly when you say “Alexa”. No, there is no monthly charge for Alexa. You may incur charges for using certain skills or services, such as music subscriptions, but there is no monthly fee to use Alexa.
- However, there is a fee for Wi-fi which you get through your Internet Service provider and you do need Wi-fi to use an Alexa device.
- No, there are no hidden costs associated with Alexa.
- You don’t need to pay anything extra to use Alexa, and there are no monthly fees.
- However, keep in mind that some of the third-party skills and services that you can access through Alexa may have their own fees.
For example, if you use a skill that orders a product for you, you may be charged for the cost of that product. Also, if you want to have the ability to call 911, you’ll need the paid version of the Buddy Skill to do that. To get started with Alexa, you’ll need an Amazon account and an Alexa-enabled device,
- Once you have those set up, you can start using voice commands to interact with your device.
- For example, you can ask Alexa to play music, provide information about the weather, or add items to your shopping list.
- There are also a number of skills that you can enable, which will allow you to do things like order a pizza or play games.
With Alexa, you can easily provide hands-free voice control of your compatible devices. This means doing things like turning on a light, opening your garage door, turning on the television, etc. Yes, you do need an Amazon account to use Alexa but it does not cost you anything.
You just need to sign up for a free Amazon account to use Alexa. There is a paid Amazon account (known as Prime), but you don’t need to be a Prime member to use Alexa. To set up your device, download the Amazon app to your smartphone, connect it to a Wi-Fi network and then follow the instructions in the Amazon Alexa app.
Once your device is set up and connected to a Wi-Fi network, you can start using it. You can also use your Echo to control smart home devices like smart lights and thermostats, Just say ” Alexa, turn on the light ” or ” Alexa, set the temperature to 72 degrees,” Yes, an Amazon Alexa-enabled device requires a Wi-Fi connection in order to work properly.
- Without Wi-Fi, the device will not be able to connect to the internet and thus will not be able to perform its many functions, such as playing music, providing information, and controlling smart devices.
- The first time you set up an Alexa device you’ll have to connect to your home’s Wi-Fi account so you should have the information on hand.
Yes you can enjoy free music on Alexa with Amazon Music Free Tier. With this, you can stream hundreds of playlists and stations without any ads. If you want to upgrade to ad-free listening or download songs for offline playback, you can sign up for Amazon Music Unlimited (aka Prime Music or Amazon Music Prime) or other music streaming services.
- You can also listen to music from other streaming music services such as apple music and more.
- The specific services are dependent on where you live.
- Here’s some information about some of the most popular music streaming services that you can play on Alexa: Amazon Music Unlimited is a streaming music service that offers ad-free listening and unlimited downloads of songs.
You can listen to any song, album, or playlist on demand. You can also download songs for offline playback. Amazon Music Unlimited costs $9.99 per month for individuals, or $14.99 per month for families (up to 6 family members). You can cancel anytime. If you have an Amazon Prime membership, your cost is $8.99 per month for individuals.
Spotify is a subscription music streaming service with over 30 million tracks and counting. You can access Spotify on your computer, mobile device, or through any Amazon device. There is a paid subscription and a free version as well. With Spotify premium (the paid version) on Alexa, you can ask to play music from any artist, album, playlist, or genre.
You can also search for specific songs, albums, and artists using voice commands. The free Spotify version allows you to choose music from playlists only, not specific songs or artists, etc. To set up Spotify (or any of the following music stream programs on Alexa), follow these steps.
But if the program requires an account, it’s a good idea to go ahead and make sure you have an account with that service before you go through these steps. Once you’ve linked your streaming account, you can start streaming music right away. Just say ” Alexa, play some music ” or ” Alexa, play my Discover Weekly playlist,” This is a free, all-in-one digital radio service that lets you listen to thousands of live radio stations or create your own custom stations based on your favorite artists and songs.
iHeartRadio is available on Alexa-enabled devices, like Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Tap. To start listening to iHeartRadio on your Alexa-enabled device, just say “Alexa, play iHeartRadio.” There’s no need to sign up and create an account. You can also ask Alexa to play a specific station or genre of music.
For example, you can say ” Alexa, play Hits 1 on iHeartRadio ” or ” Alexa, play pop on iHeartRadio,” If you have an iHeartRadio account, you can sign in with your username and password to access your custom stations. To do this, just say ” Alexa, sign in to iHeartRadio ” and follow the prompts. If you don’t have an account, don’t worry! You can still create custom stations based on your favorite artists and songs.
Just say ” Alexa, create a new station on iHeartRadio. ” Alexa will also keep you up to date on the latest news, sports, weather and more with the iHeartRadio Flash Briefing. To listen, just say ” Alexa, what’s in the news? ” or ” Alexa, play my flash briefing.
You can also listen to live radio stations from across the country on iHeartRadio. Just say ” Alexa, play (station name). ” Whether you’re a longtime iHeartRadio user or just getting started, there’s plenty to explore with our Alexa skill. So get listening! Sign up for a free account on TuneIn and you’ll have access to free Internet radio, live news, music, sports and podcasts.
You can ask Alexa to play any of the millions of songs, stations, and shows on TuneIn. Just say ” Alexa, play _ on TuneIn ” to get started. Yet another music video streaming service is Vevo. It offers on-demand access to tens of thousands of music videos.
And now with the Vevo skill for Alexa, you can ask Alexa to play any artist, album, or song from Vevo’s massive catalog of music videos. There’s no set up (meaning you do not have to set up an account) and no cost. You can just ask Alexa to play a specific music video by a specific artist, title or genre.
If you enjoy listening to live radio, then you’ll love Amp. With this skill, you can ask Alexa to play popular stations like BBC Radio 1 and Capital FM. Just say ” Alexa, enable Amp ” to get started. To start listening to a radio station, just say ” Alexa, ask Amp to play “.
- You can also ask for a specific song or artist by saying ” Alexa, ask Amp to play on “.
- If you want to hear the latest news, weather, or traffic update, just say ” Alexa, ask Amp for the news ” or ” Alexa, ask Amp for the weather “.
- No subscription and no cost to use the Amp skill on Alexa.
- These music services (and others) can help to bring all kinds of music into your life.
And just in case you’ve forgotten, music can play a very important part in alleviating depression, anxiety, etc. There are plenty of free services that Alexa comes equipped with right out of the box. Here are some examples: There is so much Alexa can do for free.
- She’s always expanding her skills and abilities, so the possibilities are endless! To put it simply, Alexa is the voice assistant that powers Echo.
- Amazon Echo is the physical device that Alexa works on.
- Culturally, we’ve just all gotten used to calling these devices “Alexa” but if we want to be technically correct, when we refer to the device, it’s called Echo.
If we want to refer to the voice from the device, then we call it Alexa. Echo also has seven microphones and beamforming technology so it can hear you from across the room—even while music is playing. Echo is also an expertly tuned speaker that can fill any room with immersive sound.
- When you want to use Echo, just say the wake word ” Alexa ” and Echo responds instantly.
- If you have more than one Echo or Echo Dot, Alexa responds intelligently from the Echo device you’re closest to with ESP (Echo Spatial Perception),
- For families and seniors, I recommend a combination of Echo Dot devices as well as the Echo Show, which are Alexa enabled devices with smart displays.
I recommend a device in every room of the house, especially for seniors. The reason is that each device can be configured slightly differently to meet the needs of each individual. example, in the kitchen, you might want a device that can help with recipes, while in the living room, you might want a device that can play music and control the TV.
- By having an Alexa enabled device in every room, seniors will have access to the information and assistance they need, no matter where they are in the house.
- But most importantly, if they were to fall or get injured, a voice command can bring them some help.
- Additionally, having multiple devices ensures that there is always a backup in case one device malfunctions.
I also recommend any of the Fire TV devices such as the Fire TV stick or the Fire TV Cube, These two devices can connect your Alexa to your television giving you voice control over your television. The Echo Auto device can be plugged in to your car’s cigarette lighter and it’s fairly easy to set up.
- It’s a way to have Alexa with you while you are on the road.
- But is there a cost? Well, once you purchase the Echo Auto device, there’s no cost for Alexa.
- But, remember, it does need some type of Wi-Fi connection.
- So, if your smartphone has unlimited data, then no, you won’t pay any additional charges to use Echo Auto in your car.
But if you do not have unlimited data on your cellular plan, then you probably will end up paying overages. Here’s a great video about the Echo Auto. Echo Auto With Setup And In-Car Demo – YouTube Tech Steve 150K subscribers Echo Auto With Setup And In-Car Demo Watch later Share Copy link Info Shopping Tap to unmute If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your device.
How much does Alexa cost for your home?
1. Amazon Alexa pricing: When basic is better – If you’re building your Amazon smart home from scratch, I recommend starting with an Echo smart speaker, specifically the fourth-gen Echo, Not only is this our favorite smart speaker – it’s our favorite Alexa device overall,
- While the $100 price tag makes this Echo speaker more expensive than the smaller Echo Dot, it’s worth it.
- The fourth-gen Echo has noticeably better audio quality than all the Echo smart speakers, and the built-in Zigbee receiver allows the Echo to act as a smart home control center for compatible devices.
This one Echo speaker, with its voice control features and connectivity ability, is a great option since it serves as a control panel for the rest of your connected devices. Cost so far: $100 The fourth-gen Echo is a great choice to act as a control panel for the rest of the connected home devices. Amazon Once you have that central hub established, it’s time to connect smart home devices. Security and smart lights are a good next step when going with the basics.
- For lighting, I recommend the Wyze Bulb,
- For $15, you can buy a 2-pack of white LED bulbs that produce better brightness than many other bulbs on the market.
- They can be set up in no time – just screw the bulb in, connect the light to your internet via the Wyze app and you can begin your Alexa commands.
Cost so far: $115 For Alexa home security cameras, I recommend starting with the Wyze Cam v3, Not only does its $36 price tag make it a stand-out affordable choice among all home security cameras, but it’s packed with top-shelf features: sharp night vision, a functional siren, 14-day video clip storage, weatherproof housing and a wide field of view.
Can you use Alexa without a computer?
Yes it will work with your WI-FI. You do not need a computer or smart phone.
Can you use Alexa without connecting to phone?
A: Yes and no. You need a smartphone to set up the Alexa connect on the local wifi. You set it up using the Alexa app and go to settings and set up a new device. The phone sees the wifi of the Alexa connect and yo see more.